Thursday, January 3, 2013

Initial Post

Finding places to practice my writing craft has not been easy.  Who, really, would think that a person my age would transition from a career in business to a career in writing?  It's an insane notion in of itself.
I realize that I am taking in a chance.  A graduate level liberal arts degree, even as a young person, typically results in a career as a bartender or barrista.  Here I am, taking on tens of thousands of dollars of debt, with two decades of experience, working in a field that involved accounting.  However, I have written my whole life.  I figure that if I am going to go into debt for an education that will require that I work until I am well into my 70's, that the education should lead to a career doing something I actually enjoy...researching and writing..rather than just something that will pay me.  I love history and culture.  I enjoy the ability to communicate in the English language.  I realize that there are challenges to finding a career that will allow me to indulge those passions, especially as an over 40 worker with no field experience.
Because I acknowledge the challenge, I started working as a volunteer early.  I wanted to use my inexperience to the benefit of the greater good.  Unfortunately, my personal views on religion preclude my involvement in many local charities in my current area.  I can not very well spend my time writing grants for the Baptist food bank or the Salvation Army's shelter when those are organizations I abhor!
I've reached out to the coasts instead.  Thanks to the internet, I've found organizations in New Jersey and in California that were happy to have a less experienced, but eager and dedicated, volunteer to research and write grants for them.
My next challenge will be to get published.  I really need to get something published, not just for the reference, but because I need the self-esteem boost of know that what I write is actually relevant enough to gain the attention of editors.  I live in fear that I am so out of touch and so out of style that no one will allow me to use my own experiences to help others.  To that end, I have a laundry list of publications that accept freelance work.  I am submitting to the people on the list, in the hopes that someday, someone will find what I write interesting and relevant.  It should be interesting to see if I can gain the attention of a publisher, rather than limiting my "sharing" to Facebook, Google+ and Fark.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment